RESUME last updated 03/2012
An interesting position to complement an education at McMaster University with opportunities to develop communication skills and to connect with individuals.
Bachelor of Health Sciences III (Honours) 2009 – present
McMaster University, Hamilton, ON
- Dean’s Honour List 2009-2012
- McMaster Honour’s Award (Entrance Scholarship)
- University Senate Scholarship
- BHSC Travel Scholarship 2011
- Invitation to Golden Key Society (top 15% of class)
Ontario Secondary School Diploma 2004 –2009
Unionville High School, Unionville, ON
- Honour Roll, Ontario Scholar
- French Functionally Bilingual Certification
- Arts York Visual Arts Diploma
Work and Volunteer Experience
Volunteer Research Student
CADENCE Research Group, Hamilton General Hospital Hamilton 2011-present
- Organized paperwork and electronic materials for a cardiac surgery study on on-pump vs. off-pump coronary artery bypass.
- Created case report forms used in data collection of another cardiac study.
- Interacted with patients while furthering an understanding of research methodology.
Volunteer Research Assistant
School of Biological Sciences, University of Hong Kong Hong Kong 2011
- Studied the effects of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) on the larval settlement of marine biofilms of species such as Balanus amphitrite, Hydroides elegans, and Crepidula onyx.
- Developed lab skills such as the culture of marine invertebrates, larval settlement bioassays, DNA extraction and purification, PCR, statistical analysis, and presenting results at lab meetings.
- Embarked on field studies to harvest marine organisms (including cancerous corals and limpets) around Hong Kong Island, with the appropriate categorization and preservation of biological samples.
Diabetes and Endocrine Centre, Prince of Wales Hospital Hong Kong 2011
- Observed the treatment of diabetic patients and contributed to diabetes education and complications assessment for patients including the translation of a diabetic handbook.
- Assisted in the conversion of sensitive patient data to electronic format for a diabetic clinical effectiveness research study.
Student Assistant Volunteer
Department of Family Medicine, McMaster University Hamilton, ON 2010 – present
- Experienced the meticulous process of health care research publication with regular attendance at progress meetings.
- Created a professional design template for the ‘Quality in Family Practice’ website.
Senior Editor, Graphics and Design
Meducator - McMaster University Hamilton, ON 2011 - present
- Produced the cover image and layout arrangement for the biannual magazine McMaster University Undergraduate Health Sciences Publication.
- Analyzed and critiqued previous issues’ arrangements for the improvement of future editions.
Vice President of Communications
Lyme Disease Awareness Association, McMaster Hamilton, ON 2011 - present
- Increased the public awareness of Lyme Disease to reduce its negative effects and ostracization of affected individuals.
- Developed promotional materials including film screening posters and logo banners for fundraising and awareness events.
Vice President of Creative Design
Asian Federation of Charitable University Students, McMaster Hamilton, ON 2009 - present
- Developed posters, flyers, shirts, membership cards, and other materials for the promotion of charitable fundraisers hosted by McMaster’s Asian Focus to increase visibility of the events.
- Planned social events including volunteer activities benefitting Heart and Stroke Foundation, the Canadian Cancer Society, Hamilton City Kidz, and Ronald McDonald House Charities Canada.
Executive of Public Relations
Kids Help Phone McMaster Hamilton, ON 2011-present
- Organized collaboration with other McMaster clubs and other executives in fundraise for Kids Help Phone and inform children of available counseling services.
- Advertise KHP events throughout the year with the creation of promotional apparel and maintenance of the club email.
Customer Service Representative
Union Market, MSU Hamilton, ON 2010 – 2011
- Provided excellent service to customers while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Maintained accurate records of stock and professionally handled tills and merchandise.
Golden Age Retirement Home Hamilton, ON 2010
- Interacted with elderly residents and experienced the issues associated with aging firsthand while keeping older adults company.
The Co-operators Markham, ON 2010
- Organized sensitive paperwork and digital documents.
- Facilitated communication between clients and agents in an office environment.
Self Hamilton, ON 2006 – present
- Produced advertising and informative materials (including posters, plate design) for various companies including First Markham Place and Three Pros Ltd.
- Commissioned to create art (tattoos, website designs, portraits, and business cards).
- Exhibited works at McKay Art Gallery, McMaster Innovation Park, LIVE art exhibition, among others.
Hedden Hall Representative
Student Dining Committee (Inter-Residence Council) Hamilton, ON 2009-2010
- Attended weekly meetings to discuss ways to resolve issues and improve residence life.
- Offered critique of cuisine available on campus with the purpose of improving the overall quality of student dining facilities and services.
Kumon Mathematics and Reading Assistant
Kumon Canada Unionville, ON 2004 – 2009
- Assisted young students with an understanding of mathematics and English.
- Provided guidance with the development of skills and corrected worksheets.
- Commissioned to create a poster handout based on knowledge of program protocol and media arts expertise.
Director of Sales and Marketing, Class representative
Arts York Yearbook and Magazine committee Unionville, ON 2007 – 2008
- Contacted principals and librarians of various elementary schools promote the purchase of the final product of the committee.
- Analyzed the yearbook throughout the development process.
Assistant Student Volunteer
Frederick Horseman Gallery of Art Markham, ON 2004 – 2005
- Provided instructors with help during classes, assisted with the set up of materials used during sessions, and interacted with children to awaken a sense of passion for the arts.
o 1998-2008 Piano and Musical Theory and History with the Royal Conservatory of Music, with Grade 10 Practical Certification
o 2001-2007 Member of the National Lifesaving Society, with Bronze Cross Certification and Emergency First Aid Training
o 2003 1st Place Wishing Well Lions Piano Competition (Music Scarborough, Class B)
o 2004 Placed 2nd in Canada for 7th Annual North American Kumon Math Challenge
o 2006 Recognized as the School Champion in the national Waterloo Pascal Contest
o 2006 Ranked 12th in North America on the Kumon Advanced Student Honour Roll
o 2006 Helped design/build the prizewinning monument of the Tetra Pak Creative challenge
o 2007 Served as a member of Unionville High School’s Intermediate Reach for the Top National Trivia Team
o 2007 Placed in the top 25% in Canada in the Canadian Open Mathematics Challenge
o 2009 Designed the winning illustration for First Markham Place Chinese Zodiac used as promotional material
o 2008-2009 Served as Vice President of the Filming Club at Unionville High School
o 2010 and 2011 Placed first in the MadeByMac creative challenge hosted by Titles Bookstore of McMaster University
o 2011 Fundraised for Ronald McDonald House Charities Hong Kong
o 2011 Placed in the 98th percentile for the MCAT
o 2011 Attended the 15th International Symposium on Toxicity Assessment at the City University of Hong Kong
References available upon request>